In 2017, LKR 2,841 Million was spent on Parliament of Sri Lanka.
60% of the total (LKR 1,711 Mn) was spent on services related to the establishment of the parliament. These are as follows,
- Payment of salaries and allowances to 844 employees under Personal Emolument (LKR 875 Mn)
- Refurbishment of Parliamentary Complex and Infrastructure Development under Capital Expenditure (LKR 395 Mn)
- Diets and Uniform (LKR 124 Mn)
- Electricity & Water (LKR 88 Mn)
- Maintenance Expenditure (LKR 87 Mn).
33% of the total (LKR 926 Mn) was spent on Members of Parliament. Expenditure related to Members of Parliament include,
- Rent (LKR 269 Mn)
- Retirement Benefits for former parliamentarians (LKR 196 Mn)
- Postal and Communication (LKR 135 Mn)
- Allowances under Personal Emolument (LKR 118 Mn)
- Fuel (LKR 117 Mn).
More details on allowances to the members of parliament is given below.
7% of the total (LKR 203 Mn) is spent for the Office of the Speaker of which LKR 71 Mn is spent on Personal Emoluments.